Monday, April 27, 2015

inspiration from Revelation - Day 2 of 10

Read Revelation 2:1-7.

“But I have this against you, that you have abandoned the love you had at first.” (Revelation 2:4 ESV)



Ever lose your focus, your passion, forget why you started something?

This happened to the Church in Ephesus.

Paul issued similar cautionary words to the Church in Corinth, “If I speak in the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I am a noisy gong or a clanging cymbal. And if I have prophetic powers, and understand all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to remove mountains, but have not love, I am nothing. If I give away all I have, and if I deliver up my body to be burned, but have not love, I gain nothing.” (1 Corinthians 13:1-3 ESV)

So for all the “good” the Ephesians were exhibiting as expressed in verses 2-3, if the unselfish, unconditional love of Jesus was not the foundation of their actions, how could the church effectively continue the Lord's work in reaching more and more in their community with the love of Jesus. It couldn't. And sadly it didn't for the Ephesians.

As of at least 2011, N.T. Wright, in his book Revelation for Everyone, reported that there are no active churches in Ephesus today. As was warned for lack of repentance (verse 5), the Church in Ephesus' lampstand was effectively removed.

What about your congregation? You may have a building recognized by many. You may have a long history in your community. You may sincerely stick to the truth found in Scripture. But if you've lost the love of Jesus, what are you really about? And how long before your lampstand is removed and forgotten in your community?

Maybe go back to Day 1's devotion and remember Who you really are about. Remember whose love first transformed your heart and changed your life. Then repent. Return your lives to Jesus. Return to His love.

No comments:

Post a Comment