Monday, August 3, 2015

Meet Jesus - Day 9 of 40 - Good Shepherd


Jesus said, “I am the good shepherd. The good shepherd sacrifices his life for the sheep. I am the good shepherd; I know my own sheep, and they know me, just as my Father knows me and I know the Father. So I sacrifice my life for the sheep." (Luke 10:11, 14-15 NLT)

What kind of shepherd is Jesus? Well, 1) He is good. What makes him good? 2) Jesus sacrificed Himself on the cross for His sheep. 

Sheep are not the smartest of animals. Similarly, man, since Adam, has made many poor choices, sinful ones, decisions which rebelled against God's ways. But despite His sheep straying from the path, He sent His Son, our Good Shepherd, to bring us back into the fold with God, our Father. Jesus: Good Shepherd went to whatever lengths so His sheep would not perish but have eternal life with God. Jesus: Good Shepherd sacrificed Himself on the cross, paying the penalty for our sheepish, shameful, sinful decisions. 

And Jesus: Good Shepherd's work is not yet done (and we have a role in this):

"I have other sheep, too, that are not in this sheepfold. I must bring them also. They will listen to my voice, and there will be one flock with one shepherd." (John 10:14-16 NLT)

There are more sheep out there yet to be brought into the fold. (Read also Jesus' parable of the lost sheep.) There are more to reach and save with Jesus' love. There are more to tell of Jesus: Good Shepherd's sacrifice. We have this in our hands, the Word, His words as found in the Bible.

What are different ways we may introduce Jesus: Good Shepherd so that others would listen to His voice and come to Him?




No comments:

Post a Comment