Saturday, August 22, 2015

Meet Jesus - Day 25 of 40 - Deliverer


[Paul wrote, quoting the prophet Isaiah] "I do not want you to be ignorant of this mystery, brothers and sisters, so that you may not be conceited: Israel has experienced a hardening in part until the full number of the Gentiles has come in, and in this way all Israel will be saved. As it is written:

'The deliverer will come from Zion;

    he will turn godlessness away from Jacob.
And this is my covenant with them
    when I take away their sins.'” (Romans 11:25-27 NIV)

The deliver who would come, who came, is Jesus. 

On Day 17, we met Jesus: Savior. Savior and Deliverer are similar descriptions for who Jesus is. We looked at Jesus: Savior with a fairly broad stroke. Today, we will look at Jesus: Deliverer in a more intimate way as expressed in Psalm 40. Here is a personal testimony as to what Deliverer means from Jesus' great, great, great, great (on and on) grandfather David:


I waited patiently for the Lord;
    he turned to me and heard my cry.
He lifted me out of the slimy pit,
    out of the mud and mire;
he set my feet on a rock
    and gave me a firm place to stand.
He put a new song in my mouth,
    a hymn of praise to our God.
Many will see and fear the Lord
    and put their trust in him.

I proclaim your saving acts in the great assembly;
    I do not seal my lips, Lord,
    as you know.
I do not hide your righteousness in my heart;
    I speak of your faithfulness and your saving help.
I do not conceal your love and your faithfulness
    from the great assembly.

But may all who seek you
    rejoice and be glad in you;
may those who long for your saving help always say,
    “The Lord is great!”
But as for me, I am poor and needy;
    may the Lord think of me.
You are my help and my deliverer;
    you are my God 

(Psalm 40:1-3, 9-10, 16-17a NIV)

What words would you choose to explain what Jesus: Deliverer means to you? As a witness, with whom may you share your testimony?


In closing, enjoy U2's singing of Psalm 40 (a favorite of mine):

No comments:

Post a Comment