Saturday, June 20, 2015

Prayer and Proverbs - Day 30 of 31

Read Proverbs 30.

“Every word of God proves true; he is a shield to those who take refuge in him.” (Proverbs 30:5 ESV)

Marvel Comics' S.H.I.E.L.D. (Strategic Homeland Intervent Enforcement Logistics Division) was an espionage, quasi military organization formed to defeat evil in the world (and it's #1 nemesis, Hydra). Add in the help of the superhero Avengers, and who could fight against such a strong shield? Created by man, though, it wasn't a perfect organization and as depicted in the recent Marvel movies, S.H.I.E.L.D. was quietly infiltrated by Hydra and eventually torn apart. 

There is no infiltrating God our shield. There is nothing that stands up against Him. The Bible says much on this:
  • [God's Covenant with Abram] “After these things the word of the Lord came to Abram in a vision: 'Fear not, Abram, I am your shield; your reward shall be very great.'” (Geneis 15:1 ESV)
  • “Happy are you, O Israel! Who is like you, a people saved by the Lord, the shield of your help, and the sword of your triumph! Your enemies shall come fawning to you, and you shall tread upon their backs.” (Deuteronomy 33:29 ESV)
  • “my God, my rock, in whom I take refuge, my shield, and the horn of my salvation, my stronghold and my refuge, my savior; you save me from violence.” (2 Samuel 22:3 ESV)
  • “The Lord is my rock and my fortress and my deliverer, my God, my rock, in whom I take refuge, my shield, and the horn of my salvation, my stronghold.” (Psalm 18:2 ESV)
How does the truth of God our shield strengthen and encourage you? In prayer ask God to continually remind you of this truth? Who in your life, one seeking refuge, could use the reminder of Proverbs 30:5?

No comments:

Post a Comment