Wednesday, June 17, 2015

Prayer and Proverbs - Day 29 of 31

Read Proverbs 29.

“The fear of man lays a snare, but whoever trusts in the Lord is safe.” (Proverbs 29:25 ESV)


The character George Costanza from Seinfeld feared everything. He was a man bottled up in insecurities. He feared what people thought of him. He feared what people were or were not saying about him. He feared appearing a failure. He even feared appearing successful. George Costanza—a man most ensnared in fearing man.

Then at the coffee shop George had a revelation, “Why did it all turn out like this for me?...It became very clear to me sitting out there today, that every decision I've ever made, in my entire life, has been wrong. My life is the opposite of everything I want it to be. Every instinct I have, in every of life, be it something to wear, something to eat ... It's all been wrong.”

Consequently, George put his fears aside, did the opposite of his natural instincts and everything went well for him. He got a glimpse of life free from the fear of man—even if only for a short while.

Look in the Bible and there are many verses on trusting the Lord. Here is one:

“Then Jesus said, 'Come to me, all of you who are weary and carry heavy burdens, and I will give you rest.'” (Matthew 11:28 ESV)

This is our Lord. In Jesus we bring all of the fears, anxieties, and burdens that others attempt to shovel down on us. Jesus takes these off of our shoulders. As our Shepherd He guards and protects us. He keeps us safe.

For more on Jesus being our Shepherd, our Lord who keeps us safe, pray Psalm 23 (ESV):

“The Lord is my shepherd;
I have all that I need.
He lets me rest in green meadows;
he leads me beside peaceful streams.
He renews my strength.
He guides me along right paths,
bringing honor to his name.

Even when I walk
through the darkest valley,
I will not be afraid,
for you are close beside me.
Your rod and your staff
protect and comfort me.

You prepare a feast for me
in the presence of my enemies.
You honor me by anointing my head with oil.
My cup overflows with blessings.

Surely your goodness and unfailing love will pursue me
all the days of my life,
and I will live in the house of the Lord
forever.” 

Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment