Monday, September 7, 2015

Meet Jesus - Day 34 of 40 - One With Whom To Waste Time

Read Luke 10:38-42



"Martha was distracted by the big dinner she was preparing. She came to Jesus and said, 'Lord, doesn’t it seem unfair to you that my sister just sits here while I do all the work? Tell her to come and help me.'” (Luke 10:38-42 NLT)

Busyness for the sake of busyness...the great distraction, the great excuse, the great relationship stunter.

How do you relate--whether being the one sucked into busyness or the casualty of another's busyness? Why is it so easy for busyness to take over life?


Now Jesus did call us to live a life for Him. He commissioned us in Matthew 28:19 (NLT) to "go and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit." There is some "doing" involved in this. It does take work. It will take our time to go and make disciples. 

But we'll never be most effective in our "doing" if we are never just sitting, resting, reclining with Jesus. In these times, we are renewed, refreshed, re-energized, and reminded of His great love for us. 

Where is the busyness in Psalm 23:1-3 (NLT)?


"The Lord is my shepherd;
    I have all that I need.
He lets me rest in green meadows;
    he leads me beside peaceful streams.
He renews my strength.
He guides me along right paths,
    bringing honor to his name."

There isn't any. In these times we are the recipients of His action where "He lets", "He leads", "He renews" and "He guides".

So as we are introducing Jesus to another, do we unintentionally introduce Jesus: Taskmaster? Are we over busy in our Christian lives to not spend time with people? Are we in fifty-million church meetings, functions, etc. during the week, where people outside of us would think, "Who needs that? I already have enough stress in life?"

Or can we show others Jesus: One With Whom To Waste Our Time? One with whom to sit at His feet. One with home to slow the pace of life down. One with whom to remember the truly important aspects of life. 



"But the Lord said to her, 'My dear Martha, you are worried and upset over all these details! There is only one thing worth being concerned about. Mary has discovered it, and it will not be taken away from her.'” (Luke 10:41-42 NLT)

After that time spent with Jesus, I think Mary could have sung the refrain from Brad Paisley's Time Well Wasted:


"It was time well wasted
And there's no way I trade a few more things that I could've crossed off my list
For a day I'll never forget
No, I didn't get a thing done
But I sure soaked up every minute of the memory we were makin'
And I count it all as time well wasted"

In what ways could you begin to waste more time with Jesus?



In closing, here is lyric video of Brad's song:

No comments:

Post a Comment