Wednesday, July 15, 2015

Planning on writing a new devo journey..."Meet Jesus"... and I welcome your thoughts

In my men's group this past Tuesday, we read Ephesians 1:11-12 from The Message: "It’s in Christ that we find out who we are and what we are living for." This is something I can't remind myself enough of...even while working professionally for the church. 


That same day I began reading Carl Medearis' book Speaking of Jesus: The Art of Non-Evangelism. Really the books gets the reader to refocus all attention on Jesus. I need this. It is so easy to forget and attempt to do ministry on one's own steam. You can get by for awhile that way. But it is not lasting. We need Jesus...and His power...and His Word working through us to carry out His mission, to reach new people with His amazing and saving love!

When I'm finished with this book (in about 10 days), I plan to start a new devotional journey. Maybe 20 days. Maybe 30. Maybe 40. Not sure yet. It will be called Meet Jesus and the title has a double meaning. 

The first meaning reflects us introducing people to Jesus. Each day I'll write on a different characteristic/identity of Jesus (Savior, Redeemer, Prince of Peace, etc.). As we go about our lives making disciples, telling people of Jesus, it may be helpful to offer some more specific introductions into who Jesus is. So as we would introduce two mutual friends who don't know each other to one another, we would introduce our friends and those we encounter as we go about our lives to our friend, Jesus. 

The second meaning simply reminds us of the importance of meeting with Jesus. As we are in the Word learning new aspects on who Jesus is, we will do this all with Him. In that time with Him we will be spiritually renewed, refreshed, and reminded that "It’s in Christ that we find out who we are and what we are living for." 

If you have any thoughts, suggestions, ideas on how to approach this, I'm open to hearing them! 



No comments:

Post a Comment